I've finally returned to the saving grace of Macs after over a decade and I love it! One useful app is Automator, which, as the name implies, automates tasks. This is potentially very helpful, although, after looking at all the options one night, I have to confess that I walked away wondering how I would practically use it.
Well, today, at a conference, I finally found a great use: downloading specific files, in my case .pdf and .zip files, from a URL.
- Open Automator.
- Make a new workflow.
- Add these actions, in this order:
- Get Specific URLs
- Get Link URLs from Webpages
- FIlter URLs
- In the "Get Specific URLs" action, set your URL.
- In the "FIlter URLs" action, add your filter(s). (e.g., Name contains .pdf)
- Run, to test results.
- Add the "Download URLs" action and choose a download folder.
Wait for it to finish, which could take a while depending on total file size.