Here are the steps it took for me to get phpDocumentor to create documentation for a WordPress installation.
- Open phpDocumentor.ini*
- Uncomment the line (line 25 for me) starting with "memory_limit"
- Set memory_limit to "2048M"**
- Open Terminal and go to the directory above the one your wordpress installation
- Use phpdoc (takes a few minutes)
phpdoc -o HTML:frames:earthli -d wordpress -t wordpress/docs
* I'm using MAMP and my directory is /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/phpdoc/.
** Probably overkill; consider available RAM. For me, 1024M wasn't enough. I kept getting this error:
phpdoc FAILED: Bad environment variable $PHP (set to "/usr/bin/php")